Sunday, June 18, 2006

Nepal, so far

After almost one week in Nepal, there has been a lot of going around trying to get stuff done, and not much progress. As my luggage still hasn't arrived, the mood is kind of sinking. But today I got a mail from Nahil in Baharain saying that they have found a bag with my e-mail adress on it. What a miracle! My luggage is saved due to one small piece of paper with my lousy handwriting on it. After this unexpected turn of events (I had started to consider my luggage as lost forever) things look a bit brighter. I have also picked up a little nepali, and a nepali sim card for my phone. The rainy season is also about to start, so hopefully thing will quiet down when all the tourists leave. Today I spent 2 hours in a taxi in rush traffic, which wasn't any fun at all. But, if the luggage comes tomorrow, the future looks bright.

As for the status of nepalese politics, the latest news is that the seven party alliance and the Maoists have agreed on the formation of an interim government which includes the Maoists. The plan is to hold elections for a constituent assembly in one years time. The attitude of people I have talked to (mainly people trying to hassle tourists and shop owners) have seemingly lost all faith in the political parties, and the slogan is "Nothing will change, but we have not tried maoist government yet. Maybe they can change things." A sentence that conjures up thoughts of the slogan back home "Vi har ikke hatt FRP i regjering enda, la dem proeve seg". So in a way Nepal is very different from Norway, and very similar.

Tomorrow I'll go to the university and hopefully talk to some interesting people. Updates will follow.

Until then, Namaste.

1 comment:

Kentona said...

vell vell, I mean well well.

Sounds like things are changing for the better, glad to hear that. Otherwise I'm of course more jealous than happy for you.

Hope you meet some interesting people soon, the uni should be a good place to start. Probarbly lots of people who wants to discuss current affaires with a fellow student.

Still, all the best. - Everything for everyone, right?

PS: Lost 400kr on Oddsen because of fucking Italy against the US. They can't do anything right these south europeans. For the first time in my life when I actually parted with them...well never again!

PPS:Starting to work at Elkem tomorrow. Not going to Oslo after all this summer.