Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Having a Blast

Yesterday, me, Bjorn Richard and Stian went out for a beer. One beer turned into two, and we decided to find a pub. We ended up in a bar bearing the name Pub Maya, which after all, sounded like a reasonable enough name. When we got the drink menus, one drink immediately distinguished itself from the rest. The beer blaster.

"Beer Blaster: Beer, vodka, tabasco."

How can anyone remotely familiar with alcohol come up with this fantastic recipe? Such stupidity made it my goddamned duty to try one. And lo(!) it tasted like crap. Beer and Vodka in the same drink is generally a bad idea, but the tabasco really took the cake. In a display of willpower I managed to finish it, only to find another gem of a drink in the menu.

"Maya Coctail: A mix of all our whiskeys with Brandy"

And again, I offered myself as a humble tool to the idea of science. At first, the staff were not willing to make it, because "this is the new menu, we have never made this before. we don't know how much of each to use". I told them to bring it on, thinking for myself that this is going to taste like rat poison no matter how much Brandy is in it. And behold(!), I was correct. What a start to a night out. After drinking these fine examples of drinkmixing craftmanship, I did what every other responsible human being in my situation would have done. I got drunk.

And when I woke up on the couch in my apartment the day after, the hypothesis that the drinks were secret remedies to prevent hungover was immediately falsified. But now the night has come, and the mood lifting. Tomorrow I'm going to Bairawar to interview some Maoist footsoldiers and a battalion commander. Updates will follow.
And remember that drinking a beer blaster should only be done by lanekasse sponsored scientists in a controlled enviroment.

3 comments:

Silje said...

Haha! Great science! As opposed to the works of the scientists I'm mingling with over here... They would all benefit from some beer blasts I think.

Scott D. Meyer said...

I don't believe in science (never seen it) but I believe in beer blasters! Keep spending Norway's money wisely!

Rachel said...

I could really go for a beer blaster right now....it's 100 degrees in the north woods. Keep it real Stian...the revolution is (no/a huge) tea party. Hils B-R fra meg.
Rach