Saturday, July 01, 2006

Breaking news!

Yesterday, while attending a meeting with the Madhesi National Liberation Front (Maoist) I made som quite interesting discoveries. After one hour of discussion in Nepali, from which I understood nothing, the maoist cadres brought out tea and biscuits. This leads me to draw the conclusion that, contrary to popular belief, the revolution is indeed a teaparty!
This discovery could have far ranging implications for my understanding of the current peace process. Have the CPN(M) turned political mainstream for good? Is maoism after all a paper tiger? And who is heading for the scrapheap of history. the king, the maoist, peace research?
Many questions, few answers.

I also had a meeting with an old timer of the communist movement in Nepal, mr. Torch. He expressed his disappointment with the lack of unity on the Nepali left, and also told me that his party The Communist Party of Nepal (Unity Center-Masal) will itself split in three in two weeks time. So much for unity.

Other than that I have met a journalist and a lawyer who works in a solidarity network who publishes information about the ongoing peace process. They were working underground until last April, when the victory of the people's movemet resulted in a lift of the ban on their webpage.

Yesterday I watched England yet again go out on penalties. Before the shootout I thought it was impossible to go out every single time one faces a penalty shootout, but alas, Lampard and company surprised me again. So now we are left with Germany, Italy, France and Portugal in the semis. I'm trying to come up with reasons to root for any of these, but haven't found any yet.
Suggestions are welcome. I might root for Germany just for the hell of it. And Raul, congratulations on your picking of Ronaldo and Adriano over Klose as the top scorer of the World Cup.

Today I will transcribe two hours of interviews from tape. That will probably take me four hours and be lots of fun. Apart from that, I will work on my new proposal.
Until next time, stay vigilant!

No comments: