Sunday, July 16, 2006

Visiting the Terai. Meeting old friends.

The last days I have been visiting the Terai, which is the lowland region of Nepal. Being much lower than Kathmandu, it is also much warmer, and much more humid. In other words, much more hardcore climate for a Norwegian like me. While there, I decided to try and meet with the Nepal Goodwill Party once again. Partly because they have such a great name, and partly because the are a regional party fighting for the interests of the Madhesi people, living in the Terai.
When I entered the party office however, I immediately recognized mr. G. from my earlier meeting in Kathmandu. The last time I didn't talk much with mr. G., but he recognized me anyway. (It should be noted that mr. G. is a good natured looking guy, whit a white beard and a santa clause kind of belly.) As I was about to mention to the rest of the room that we had met earlier, mr. G. beat me to it. And talked for about three minutes in Nepali while laughing (a good natured, pirate kind of laugh I must say) and pointing at me. I wasn't able to understand much of what was said, but judging from his way of saying it, I have made a transcription of the monologue as I think it was articulated.
mr. G. "HAHA. Yes, I met this guy in Kathmandu. He came to interview us. HAHA. At the party office. HAHA. He's been nagging for one month now about us not answering his fax with questions. HAHAHAHA. Some son of a gun, I tell you. HAHA HAHA. Yessireee. This guy, coming to the office. Look at him, what a bastard. HAHAHAHA. I tell you. Yesbox, i'm not kidding. This sonofabitch, researcher he says. HAHA. By the Guru's beard. HAHA. I've seen some researchers in my time. But this son of a gun. HAHA. He takes the cake. Give the man a drink. What? Just water? Ok. HAHA. Yessir I can boogie I told him. HAHAHA. By the beard of the Sadhu, err, Guru I mean. HAHA. HAHA. Tell you what. See you in Kathmandu. I know president of party. I fix meeting. HAHA. Sucker. Answer fax? Sure we will. HAHA. Just send it one more time you son of a czar. HAHA. ok. HAHA. This guy. he cracks me up. HAHA.
Ok. See you."

Maybe not the most informative of the interviews I've done, but then again, this is the goodwill party. And that's no joke.
Until next time, be safe, or be a disgrace.

No comments: